Black Beluga Lentils
These Black Beluga Lentils caught my eye awhile back when I was at The Cookbook Co. for a cooking lesson. They have a lovely store up front filled with specialty items. I love caviar and I love lentils so I knew I couldn’t go wrong. They only resemble Beluga as they are small, round, and black.
I wanted to make them vegetarian or even vegan but for some reason, I was really drawn to put bacon with them, so I did!! After two bites Amber was asking if there were any more than the bowl she had. She loved them, which makes me happy as she is a very adventuresome healthy eater and always has been. Lentils are a great way to get your protein so we usually just pair them with a nice big green salad.
- 2 thick slab slices of bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, small diced
- 2 stalks celery, small diced
- 4 sprigs of oregano, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of dried beluga lentils, rinsed well and picked over
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Parsley for garnish
- Saute bacon until crisp in a large pan.
- Remove and drain off fat.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and saute the shallot, garlic, carrots, and celery until tender.
- Add the oregano and saute for 1 minute.
- Make sure to salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the lentils and chicken broth, cover, and cook simmering until the broth has been absorbed and the lentils are tender about 30 min.
- Add the bacon back into the pot and stir to heat.
- Garnish with parsley.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 185Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 746mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.