I had such a craving for these Cabbage Rolls because we hadn’t had them for so long. I don’t make them too big or too heavy. They are sweet and yummy and my family went crazy for them!!
I key to great cabbage rolls is to start the night before and you are golden! Once you have your cabbage cooked and cooled it’s simply a matter of rolling up your cabbage rolls and make the sauce.
Hopefully, your family will enjoy them as much as my family did!
- 1 large cabbage
- 1 1/2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 lb. lean pork
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 4 Tbsp. onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 680 ml. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Core cabbage and place in a large pot.
- Fill the hole with vinegar and salt. Fill the pot with water to the top of cabbage but not flowing into the core.
- Bring to a boil, turn the stove off, cover and leave overnight.
- The next morning your cabbage is cooled and ready to work with, perfect!
- Combine meat, rice, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 4 Tbsp. onion, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, salt, pepper, and 1/2 tsp. paprika.
- Take an appropriately sized handful of meat for the size of cabbage leaf and place at the core end of the leaf, roll tucking sides of the leaf in and place on a platter seam side down.
- Continue with remaining leaves.
- Saute the diced onion in the canola oil with salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp. paprika, until translucent.
- Place in the bottom of a large roasting pan. Add hot water and stir to combine.
- Place cabbage rolls on top of the onion mixture, arranging smaller ones on the second layer.
- Mix tomato sauce with the brown sugar and lemon juice, pour over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake at 325F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 248Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 24g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.