Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Do you love macaroni and cheese but you are looking for one that really fits all the criteria of great mac and cheese? Look no further than this gorgeously creamy Classic Macaroni and Cheese. It has the perfect cheese blend with a crispy crunchy topping, this dish is a real crowd pleaser!! This post originally appeared on Real Housemoms.
I have made mac and cheese a million times. I usually use a recipe from Martha Stewart but I think we all wanted a change. Something that was possibly even better. Ken and Amber said that this Classic Macaroni and Cheese was the best they have ever had. Woohoo, I hit the nail on the head then!!
Using a panko crumb for the topping is really amazing. It gets gorgeously crunchy to offset the smooth and creaminess of the cheese sauce and pasta.
Serving up a big comforting dish like this for the holidays will get you rave reviews. This recipe will be loved by so many, it is a kid’s number one fave and adults never pass it up either. The recipe makes a lot, so that it will feed a crowd easily!!
What do you think of when comfort food comes up? I bet macaroni and cheese is at the top of the list. So homey and a family favorite for many. If serving ham for the holidays this dish would be an amazing accompaniment. Rich and creamy and full of wonderful ingredients.
Furthermore, Macaroni and Cheese dates back to the 14th century and is loved world over. Many recipes have grown on this classic but besides a little Parmesan cheese I stuck with the standard cheddar. An easy dish that anyone can accomplish with following the directions. A great recipe to start with if you are new to the kitchen.
Classic Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Classic Macaroni and Cheese
This comforting Classic Macaroni and Cheese is a family favorite you'll want to make again and again!
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 5 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 lb. macaroni
Panko Crumb Topping
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 3 quart casserole dish or two smaller ones, I usually stick one in the freezer to have at a later date. Just thaw and bake accordingly. Toss the panko with the Parmesan and butter, set aside. Fill a large pasta pot with salted water and heat over high heat.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk. Then melt the remaining 6 Tbsp. butter in another medium saucepan over medium heat. When the butter bubbles, add the flour and whisk, cooking for 1 min. While whisking slowly pour in the hot milk a bit at a time until all is incorporated. Let the mixture thicken and bubble while whisking constantly. Remove from heat and add the salt, nutmeg, white pepper, mustard powder and cayenne pepper. Whisk well. Then add the 5 cups of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of Parmesan, set cheese sauce aside but stir occasionally so the mixture doesn’t form a skin on top.
- Once water is boiling in the large pasta pot add the macaroni and cook until al dente. You really want it underdone as it will continue to cook in the oven. Follow the manufacturer's instructions. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water. Stir macaroni into the cheese sauce. Pour mixture into the prepared dish or dishes. Sprinkle on the panko crumbs. Bake for 30-45 min. until browned on the top and bubbling. Let cool for 5 min.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 457Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 703mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 21g
Comments & Reviews
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
this is def the perfect, classic, mac and cheese!
Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle says
That looks so good! There’s nothing better than a delicious mac and cheese. REAL mac and cheese. Not the boxed stuff.
Chelley @ A is For Adelaide says
What a great, simple recipe! I love making mac and cheese- classic eating for the fam!
Amy Desrosiers says
This reminds me of the mac & cheese my mom made for Christmas. It was the perfect amount of cheese and flavor.
This looks delicious! I love the crunchy topping you added.
Lisa Bristol says
My family loves Mac and cheese. I will have to give this Classic Macaroni and Cheese recipe a try. It looks so good I am sure it will be a hit.
Ann Bacciaglia says
I am always looking for delicious recipes to try. This looks so good and easy to make. I will have to get the ingredients I need to make this recipe this week.
Liz Mays says
Ahhh this looks so good! I need to try this out for lunch one day. It definitely sounds like a comfort dish.
mhm this look amazing. i love it when mac & cheese has a breadcrumb crust!
Dawn Gibson-Thigpen says
i love mac and cheese. this recipe looks delish. wow
Made this today and it’s in the he fridge for Saturday (our Thanksgiving Dinner)……did I miss it or are the directions missing where to add the dry mustard? I added it with the rest of the spices.
Tara Noland says
So sorry for the omission, yes you were right for adding it when you did!! Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy!!
Cheryl Voelk says
I made this last night to go with our smoked brisket and it was fantastic! Everybody loved it and the panko topping was wonderful. I will definitely be making this again very soon.
Thank you so much Tara!
Tara Noland says
So glad you enjoyed it, goes great with a brisket!!