Chocolate Cupcake with Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting
Chocolate Cupcake with Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting is a perfect way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! These gorgeous little cupcakes were made even more fun with a little shamrock punch that I have and sticking them to a paper disc and then to a thin dowel. It makes them perfectly feastive for this holiday!!
The luscious buttercream is enhanced even more with the added Bailey’s Irish Cream! Which also goes perfectly with the yummy cupcakes! To top the whole dessert off are little shamrock sprinkles which you can find at your local craft store or online! I also used some shamrock cupcake liners for the cupcakes too!
Make these up for an adult St. Patrick’s Day party and they will be an absolute hit! Cupcakes are always easy to serve with little mess and no dishes!!
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Bailey's Irish Cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. Stir boiling water and cocoa together. Whisk in buttermilk until smooth. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, soda, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl of an electric mixer cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix in. Alternatively mix in flour and cocoa mixture in 3 batches of each mixing well after each addition. Spoon batter into cupcake liners dividing evenly amongst the 24. Bake for 20-25 min. on the lower third of the oven until the cupcake springs back when lightly touched. Let cupcakes cool slightly and then remove and let fully cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, cream the butter in a large bowl. Carefully incorporate the rest of the ingredients alternating the icing sugar with the Bailey's and the vanilla and continue beating until light and fluffy. Place icing in a piping bag with a desired tip, I used a Wilton 2D tip. Starting at the ouside of the cupcake and pressing consistently, squeeze icing out moving around towards the center. Add your favourite sprinkles. Enjoy!!