Ham, Cheese and the Perfect Poached Egg Sandwich
Sometimes the simplest things in life are the very best like Ham, Cheese and the Perfect Poached Egg Sandwich. Ken is the creator of breakfast in this house. He always has a hearty breakfast in the morning and makes Amber divine things before she goes to school.
I am lucky enough to receive these little creations on the weekend as I am busy blogging and he comes in with a wonderful breakfast item.
Over the holidays I was presented with this little lovely and decided to snap a picture to share with you. When making a poached egg for a sandwich you want to cook it just a bit longer so that when you take a bit the whole thing doesn’t burst all over you.
I will give you the instructions for a perfect poached egg for a sandwich or otherwise. It is all in the technique.
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice of good quality ham
- 1 slice mozzarella or swiss
- English muffin
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the English muffin in the toaster and lightly toast. Place the slice of cheese on the English muffin and let it start to melt.
- You can encourage it to melt more by sliding it under the broiler for a few seconds. Place the ham on top. Keep warm.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl. Bring a small pot of water with the vinegar up to a simmer. Do not bring to a boil.
- With a spoon spin the water in the center of the pot to create a whirlpool and very carefully drop the egg into the center of the whirlpool.
- It will look like a mess but it will come back together. Simmer the egg, never boil for 3-4 min. depending on the desired doneness.
- Go to the 4 min. mark for a sandwich such as shown here or closer to the 3 min. mark if just serving on toast. Salt and pepper and place on top of the ham.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1022Total Fat: 65gSaturated Fat: 34gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 432mgSodium: 2519mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 78g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.