Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
When the cooler weather starts to come to call, out comes the slow cooker. This Slow Cooker Beef and Bartley Soup are perfect! The crockpot is a great invention that usually requires a small amount of prep work and hours of free time to culminate in a delicious dinner. What is not to love about that!!
I haven’t done a lot of soups in my slow cooker but I am starting to. If you haven’t noticed we are big lovers of soup here, any time of year. I think a good soup needs to have layers to increase its depth of flavor. Adding more than just beef broth I think accomplishes this. You end up with a soup that is rich and robust but yet still very healthy using a leaner cut of meat. Enjoy!!
- 1 1/2 lbs. eye of round, small 1/2" cubes, visible fat removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 900 ml. low sodium beef broth
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup pot barley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 284 ml. can onion soup
- 1 cup red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place beef, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in the slow cooker. Whisk tomato paste with some of the beef broth and add to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Adjust seasoning and serve with a crusty french loaf.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 264Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 2852mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 26g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust