I was flipping through a cookbook I have that I have found some great recipes in before and came across this St. Patricks’s Cabbage and Potato Pie. The cookbook is The Lighthearted Cookbook brought out by the Canadian Heart Foundation.
I thought this pie was a great vegetarian option for St. Patrick’s Day. We had it as an entree but could easily be used as a side dish.
As you know if you follow our blog we do a lot of vegetarian options. I enjoy that at least once a week. It seems to take the hassle out of things too! This doesn’t taste “heart-healthy” at all. It is rich and creamy with wonderfully mild cabbage flavor.
Perfect with a big salad!! This “pie” was devoured. It will be another of our go-to St. Patrick’s Day recipes. I hope you try it too! Enjoy!!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!!
- 1 lb. cabbage
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp. margarine or butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- Salt, freshly ground pepper, and nutmeg to taste
- Separate and trim cabbage leaves. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add cabbage and cook for 5-10 min. or until tender. Drain and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until tender. Mash with milk, margarine, and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Meanwhile to make the cream sauce, in a medium saucepan melt the margarine and add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 min. Add the milk slowly and cook stirring for 3-5 min. until the mixture comes up to a simmer and thickens. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. Mix in cabbage.
- Spoon the cabbage into a 4 cup baking dish that is non-stick or spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Cover with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 20-30 min. or until heated through. Lightly brown under the broiler before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 359Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 9g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.