Amber just loves fruit leathers and I have been seeing them around quite a bit. I first was very intrigued when I saw Free Spirit Eater’s Peach Fruit Leather but I think I have missed the boat on the good peaches. They were rock-hard at the store. So I was thinking about back at school and what fruit do you think of with teachers, well it is apples. So decided on Back at School/Apple Leathers to show you today.
I rounded up a recipe, one I had seen recently on Foodgawker from Baked By Rachel, and thought I would give it a whirl. Well actually asked Ken if he would for me. He agreed and off he went creating these leathers. I have to tell you that you really need to spread them as thinly and as evenly as possible as it took a long time to dry, especially in the middle where it was a bit thicker. They did turn out though and Amber just loves them.
I have rolled a few up but most are in strips and she can easily take those to school also. Try them on an afternoon when you are just hanging around the house. They are so very good!!
Recipe adapted from Baked by Rachel
- 4 cups apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 170F. Line two trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Toss apples in lemon juice to keep from browning. Add apples, water, sugar and cinnamon to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until apples are tender. Mash slightly with a potato masher and then continue to cook for an additional 5 min.
- Pour mixture into blender or food processor and puree.
- Pour half the mixture onto each of the pans and spread very thinly and as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 3-4 hours or until leather is slightly tacky only and no longer wet. Rotate pans every hour and swap racks.
- Slice the leather into desired width strips using a very sharp knife or a pizza wheel. Wrap in waxed paper and seal in a air tight container. They won't last long!!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 43Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 0g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.