Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Noodle Casserole
Don’t you just love a comforting casserole in the fall? I have for you today Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Noodle Casserole and it has a whole lot of comfort in it. Cheese, noodles, chicken and veggies but it is also gluten free and has less calories than your standard big cheesy casserole. That is because I used Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine from House Foods. The most important thing though is that is tastes delicious and is easy to assemble for an amazing weekday supper. I received rave reviews on this recipe, my family loved it!! This would be a great side dish also for the holidays, you could omit the chicken and add a bit more veggies. The red and green make it festive too!
The noodles are exceptionally easy to work with, just a quick rinse and a quick 2 minute boil is all that is needed. We all found that they stood up way better than egg noodles to in this dish as they didn’t get mushy when baked!
I have used their products now in dishes like this Asian Noodle Summertime Salad, stir-frys and salads. They are extremely low in calories, gluten free, non GMO and vegan. They are made by blending the flour of Konnyaku (a member of the Asian yam family) and tofu.
The topping is made with panko bread crumbs which can be gluten free if need be. Cheese and butter are added for flavor and crispness!
Look at all that deliciousness on one spoon. You will love making this for your family and your family will love you for it!
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Noodle Casserole
A delicious comforting chicken noodle casserole that is also lower in calories and gluten free.
- 2 Tbsp. butter plus more for dish
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, cut into 2" strips
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli, steamed until tender crisp and then submerged in ice water
- 6 Tbsp. flour or gluten free thickener eg. sweet rice flour (3 Tbsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups sodium reduced chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup 2 % milk
- 4 oz. light cream cheese, large diced
- 1 cup aged cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- Large pinch of cayenne
- 2 pkgs. Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine noodles, drained, rinsed and cooked per package directions
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup aged shredded cheese
- 2/3 cup panko crumbs, gluten free optional
- Butter a 9x12" dish and set aside. Add the 2 Tbsp. butter to a large saute pan and saute the onion and red peppers over medium heat until just tender and onions are transparent.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Stir in flour, thyme, oregano, cook for 1 min. Slowly add in the chicken broth and then milk, stirring constantly. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Bring up to a simmer and cook for 2 min. or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the cayenne and hot sauce. Again adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. Add the cooked noodles, diced chicken, onions, red pepper and cooked broccoli. Pour into the prepared pan. Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 min. or until top is golden brown and casserole is bubbling.
Comments & Reviews
Happy Valley Chow says
My wife just looked over and said “oooo that looks good”….I of course agreed with her! I pinned and will definitely be trying soon. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Happy Valley Chow
Florian @ContentednessCooking says
This looks so comforting, Tara! I bet this would surely impress a buch of guests.
Peter @ Feed Your Soul Too says
So many good things happening in this dish.
Suzy | The Mediterranean Dish says
This is the perfect comfort bite, Tara!
Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch says
Such a great dish for a busy weeknight!
I forgot about those types of noodles. I’ll have to revisit them now that I see how delicious they can be made!
Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens says
It really is the perfect time of year for hearty, comforting casseroles like this, but I just love how much lighter and healthier your version is! I’ve never heard of these super-cool noodles before, and I’m so happy you tipped me off to be on the lookout for them! What a great product! And … what a fabulous way to use it! Deeeeeee-lish!!!! 😀
Debi @ Life Currents says
I love a good broccoli casserole, and this looks awesome. I love that you used those tofu noodles. I always like those!
Heidy L McCallum says
Great Tuna idea, our family loves broccoli as well so this might just go over extremely well in our house. Thanks for making the instructions so simple to follow.
I have seen noodles on the food network and have always wanted to try them.
What a delicious comforting meal! All this cheese heaven in a plate!
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy says
Now this looks like some delicious comfort food. I love cheese and broccoli together- I usually have it in soup, but I am going to have to try this.
Linda (Meal Planning Maven) says
Tara, what a creative and comforting casserole! I haven’t used shirataki noodles in ages…I so need to try this!
justine @ Full Belly SIsters says
I’ll have to try those noodles, this dish looks wonderful!
Nicole Neverman says
Everything about this casserole screams delicious. Especially all that cheese 🙂
This literally stopped me in my tracks, it looks incredible. One of my daughters is now eating gluten free, so I’m happy to get this recommendation for the noodles, thanks so much!
That looks positively scrumptious Tara!!!!
Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living says
Wow – I can’t believe these are tofu shirataki noodles – love how you used them to lighten up this dish and make it gluten-free!
Michele @ Flavor Mosaic says
This looks delicious! I love creamy cheesy casseroles, and I love this one even more because it is gluten free and has reduced calories! Thanks for sharing about the Tofu Shirataki Fettuccini. I’m going to have to look for that in the grocery store.
Renee's Kitchen Adventures says
I love that this is lightened up with shirataki noodles! Comfort without all the guilt!
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
Now THIS is a casserole that my entire family would love! Looks like the perfect weeknight comfort food to me. 🙂
I loooove casseroles and this looks so good! And it’s about the only way I’ll eat vegetables. lol Pinned. 🙂