Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day
Here we are with another #SundaySupper and I jumped at the chance as this Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day is a perfect Springtime dish and that was our theme. I discovered this recipe for Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day last year and made it when I had first started blogging. I felt that it was worthy of another post as it is such a great Irish dish for St. Patrick’s Day!!
I couldn’t wait to have it again. That and my all-time favorite Corned Beef and Creamed Cabbage. I need more than one day to celebrate as there are so many great Irish recipes so it turns into a week-long celebration just like any other holiday with blogging. Aren’t we lucky bloggers!!
This is an easy and delicious meal just right for early Spring. This Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day used to be made on the top of the stove and was said to have bubbled away for hours until late, well after the wife had gone to bed and still be great for when the husband stumbled in after the pub.
The sausages become so juicy and flavorful cooked this way in the oven and with me, anything to do with bacon is a dream!!!
I do lighten it up with chicken sausages instead of pork. Once you get this meal prepared you can sit back and have a green beer while it cooks!! The perfect Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day. Enjoy!!!
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 6 back bacon, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 apple chicken sausage
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly with a mandolin
- 3 carrots, sliced crinkle cut
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 1 10 oz. can chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Heat the oil in a large frypan and fry the bacon for 2 min.
- Add the onion and continue to cook for 5-6 min. until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the chicken sausage and brown on both sides for 5-6 min. This will not be cooked through.
- Butter a large deep baking dish and add the thinly sliced potatoes, season with salt and pepper.
- Layer the carrots on top followed by the onion mixture. Sprinkle with onion with sage, salt, and pepper.
- Place the sausage on top and pour over the chicken stock. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve and enjoy with bannock or soda bread and a salad. Also goes great with a Guinness or red wine!!!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 550Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 993mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 45g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.
Green and Spring Dishes Menu Includes:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus, and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups, and Dressings:
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite Springtime recipes!
All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us throughTweetChat!