Summer Veggie Wife Saver
Need a brunch idea for the summer months? Why leave a wife saver for only Christmas morning. We need help all through the year!! So I thought that a Summer Veggie Wife Saver would be a great idea not only for time saving but to showcase some great fresh produce at this time of year!!
Instead of the usual cheddar cheese and back bacon or ham I lightened up this recipe for summer using a herbed havarti and in place of the meat, garden fresh vegetables. I left in the wonderful corn flake topping as that I think is a must!!
This is such an easy dish to make and really is a time saver. We served this when we had company in town for brunch. It was gobbled down. I liked the veggies and havarti even more than the traditional recipe.
- 16 slices of good quality bread
- 165 gm. package of sliced herbed havarti (approx. 6 large slices)
- 1 large zucchini, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 10 asparagus spears, diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup finely minced onion
- ¼ cup red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Corn Flakes, crushed slightly and enough to cover the top of the dish
- Butter a large 9x13" pan adn set aside. In a large skillet with the olive oil and over medium heat, saute the zucchini and asparagus until tender crisp. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place 8 slices of bread at the bottom of the dish, covering as much space as possible. Add the sauteed vegetables in a layer. Top wth the havarti cheese. Cover with the rest of the bread.
- Whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper. Add the mustard, onion, red pepper, worchestershire sauce, Tabasco and milk. Pour over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 F. Top the casserole with corn flakes and pour on the melted butter. Bake uncovered for 1 hour.