Sweet and Sour Ribs
It is Monday and we have Sweet and Sour Ribs for you today! I hope everyone had a safe and fun-filled Halloween. Ours turned out to be loads of hauntingly good times!! This recipe was taken from a cookbook I did years ago while I was nursing.
Our family has enjoyed these many, many times. I have tweaked it slightly. You can ask the butcher to cut the ribs in half lengthwise for you so you have riblets. I use the good baby back ribs. After all, I don’t see the point in having ribs if they aren’t the best!
This recipe we have made a million times and it is one of our absolute favorites!!
These ribs are easy to make, fall off the bone tender and finger-licking good!! This is a must-try recipe for anyone who loves Asian style sweet and sour ribs!!
Don’t you just want to grab one of those ribs right from the bowl. This recipe will not disappoint you like a said it has been tried and tested a million times. The ribs are first seasoned and then broiled to get that wonderful crispy brown color, then they are slowly cooked in a sweet and sour sauce until they are tender and delicious!
- 3 lbs. of ribs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. flour mixed with 1/2 cup water
- Broil the ribs well under a broiler on both sides but they don't have to be cooked through. I sometimes use my cookie cooling rack fitted over the bottom broiler pan as they cook really well this way, nice and crisp.
- In a large pot mix together the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and flour-water mixture and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Once you have finished broiling all the ribs cut them into individual pieces and add to the pot.
- Cover and allow to simmer in the sauce for 45-60 min. until the meat is starting to pull away from the bone and the sauce is thick and sticky.
- Serve over basmati rice with your favourite vegetable.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1115Total Fat: 70gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 238mgSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 0gSugar: 67gProtein: 49g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.