Back At School/Caprese Muffins
Amber loves these little Back At School/Caprese Muffins in her lunch box. Something different. I make them fresh and we eat them all. They wouldn’t freeze well I don’t think because of the basil and tomatoes. She munches on them hot out of the oven, in her lunch box and for an after school treat. I found this recipe in Ready, Steady Lunchbox, cooking for kids and with kids. This cookbook gives you some great ideas to get you out of the humdrum life of the usual lunch box. It has beautiful bright pictures and great recipes to liven up any lunch box. I think your children will embrace the change. Get them in the kitchen helping and they will for sure eat the outcome!! Happy lunching!!
- 1 cup self raising flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 roma tomato, finely chopped
- 2 small bocconcini, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray a mini 24 cup muffin pan with the cooking spray.
- Whisk the flour and baking powder together in a large bowl making a well in the center.
- Whisk the egg and milk together and pour into the well. Add the tomato, bocconcini, basil and butter. Fold until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into 24 muffin cups dividing evenly. Bake for 25 min. or until golden brown. Cool 5 min. then pop them out to cool completely on a cookie rack.
Recipe adapted from Ready, Steady, Lunchbox