Turkey Chili Nachos
We recently, for March break, flew to San Diego for vacation. We have now been there 4 times and love the area. We are lucky enough to have a time share up in Escondido. I love going there for many reasons but one is to shop at Trader Joe’s, I am in heaven in that store!! That is where I shopped for these scrumptious Turkey Chili Nachos. They have such great products, produce, wine, for incredibly inexpensive prices.
So on the plane I take all of my recent magazines and create a menu and shopping list. After checking in at the resort we are off to Trader Joe’s!! Woohoo, vacation has started. One of the recipes I wanted to try was Turkey Chili Nachos, man that sounded good!!
It was from a Canadian Living Magazine but I adapted it slightly to what I found available.
Now the photos are not the best as I just had my phone for pictures, but you get the idea of how delicious these are!! Honestly, one of the best if not the best nachos I have ever had or made. They were scrumptious!!
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups Pomodoro sauce or your favorite tomato sauce
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. salsa picante
- 1 large bag tortilla chips, baked or fried
- 1 1/2 cups part skim mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- Cook the onion until soft and slightly golden, in the olive oil, in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic, cumin, and salt and pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the turkey and cook for about 5 min. until it is no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce. Add half the green onions, red pepper and salsa, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 min. until thickened.
- Layer the chips and turkey chili in a large 9 x 13" pan or broiler pan. Top with cheese. Broil until the cheese is bubbling and starting to turn golden. Top with the remaining green onions, cilantro and lime juice. Serve immediately!!
- Recipe adapted from Canadian Living Magazine