Cheddar and Asiago Mac and Cheese
Don’t you just love mac and cheese? Nothing more comforting!! I came up with this Cheddar and Asiago Mac and Cheese when I was messing around with an original recipe and making it in something else. I loved the combination of these two cheeses. Something different you don’t always see in mac and cheese. A little crispy bread topping and you are good to go!!
- 8 Tbsp. butter, plus more for dish
- 6 slices good quality white bread, torn into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 cups old sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter an 8x11" and an 8x8" casserole dishes or one larger pan, set aside. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in the microwave. In a small bowl add the bread cubes and toss with the melted butter. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat the milk. Fill a large pot with salted water and place on high heat.
- In an other medium saucepan melt the remaining 6 Tbsp. butter and then add the flour, stirring and cooking of 1 min.
- Whisk in the hot milk slowly and continue cooking and whisking until mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat.
- While the milk mixture is still hot. Whisk in the salt, nutmeg, black pepper and cayenne pepper and 3 cups of the cheddar and 1 1/2 cups Asiago. Stir well with a wooden spoon until cheese melts. Set aside.
- When water has come to a boil add the macaroni and cook until 2-3 min. less than manufacturers directions. You want this more underdone than el dente. Drain and rinse in a colander. Stir into cheese sauce.
- Pour into prepared dishes, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with bread crumbs. Bake for 45-60 min. or until browned on top. Let cool for 5 min. before serving.
Adapted from Martha Stewart