Friday Night Cooking Class/ Mulligatawny Soup
This Friday Night Cooking Class/ Mulligatawny Soup is for Amber. She has always had Harry Potter on the brain but now even more so as she is about to get her room redone to look like the inside of Hogwarts.
This is a soup that would seem fitting to be served at Hogwarts. It has a shady past. Originally from India, there are many variations and renditions of the soup. You can add chicken or beef, it can be filled with veggies. In its simplest form it is just a broth. Here is our magical rendition.
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 2 cups Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 6 cups chicken stock, sodium-reduced
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup packed spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 -14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1- 19 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, optional
- 2 cups basmati rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Place diced chicken in a bowl and toss with garam marsala and a 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Heat canola oil in a large pot and saute chicken until cooked through and browned, about 8 min.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery to the hot pot and saute until caramelized about 5 min.
- Add garlic, ginger, apples, ground coriander, turmeric, and cayenne, continue to cook until apples are caramelized, another 6 min.
- Add the potatoes, lentils, chicken stock and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, cover and then reduce to simmer for 10 min. or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the chicken back to the pot with 1 tsp. salt, freshly ground pepper, coconut milk, and tomatoes.
- Continue to cook another 10-15 min. Add spinach, rice and lemon juice if using and cook 2 min. until rice is heated through and spinach is wilted.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve in soup bowls topped with cashews, coconut, and cilantro.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 515Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 1066mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 8gSugar: 12gProtein: 39g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.