These cookies are a huge hit with kids. I like that they are so low in fat and they are nut free. Any easy cookie to take to school that the kids will scream for more. I like to make them in small little mounds, so this recipe then makes a lot. They look like little puffed clouds. You have to have you oven on for a long time to make meringue so you might as well make it worth it.
Try these cookies with your family, they will become a new household favorite! Happy Holidays!
- 6 large egg whites
- 1¼ cups super fine sugar
- 2 cups mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 175F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standup mixer with a whisk attachment beat egg whites until soft peaks form.. Add a few Tbsp. of the sugar in and whisk on low speed.
- Increase speed and gradually add the sugar in one spoonful at a time. Continue until the egg whites have a glossy finish and hold stiff peaks. Remove bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a very large pastry bag or in two batches with a plain tip, fill the bag with the meringue. Pipe small mounds about 1½” onto the prepared baking sheets about 1″ apart.
- Bake meringues until completely dried out, be careful not to brown them. You may want to rotate the baking pans to prevent this. Bake for 2½-3 hours.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. Store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
Adapted from Martha Stewart