Rhubarb Strawberry Cobbler
I was out back and looking at my rhubarb patch and saw that a first batch was ready and waiting. I have a very ruby red varietal, one that I didn’t plant but was here when we moved in. The stalks for the most part are large and red right to the top. With this color of rhubarb I get some magnificent looking desserts like this Rhubarb Strawberry Cobbler.
I have also made my very popular Rhubarb Dream Bars, Old Fashioned Rhubarb Loaf, Super Easy Rhubarb Tarts, Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp, Rhubarb Strawberry Sour Cream Pie and just plain old good Strawberry Rhubarb Compote. I love making a simple compote which I make every year with or without strawberries.
With Canada Day almost here this pretty red and white dessert is absolutely perfect. Fresh and hot out of the oven is the best way to eat it but you can re-warm it too!
I honestly have not made many cobblers in the past. I was afraid of the biscuit topping being not as desirable as a crisp topping but man was I wrong!! This cobbler is even better I think than a crisp. Each scoop or serving gets one of the gorgeously crispy, yet fluffy inside, biscuits.
You can prepare this to how many servings you like. I did 10 biscuits on top or therefore 10 servings. The sauce cooked up perfectly with adding in flour so it is a gorgeous consistency. I like to see a cobbler with a drop biscuit on top and not one solid crust. Seems to be more appealing. They then kind of look like a cobble stone road but I don’t think that is where the name came from.
The final result is a perfectly gorgeous summer dessert. Serving it with a little puff of whipped cream is excellent too! Fresh mint from our garden gave it the extra touch! Enjoy!!
- 4½ cups rhubarb stalks only (leaves are poisonous) cut into 1" pieces
- 1½ cups strawberries, sliced
- ¾ cup sugar, if you like it sweet increase to 1 cup
- ⅓ cup flour, scant
- 1 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- Large pinch of salt
- ¼ cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup half and half cream (10%)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Whipped cream
- Mint, optional
- In a large bowl add the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and flour, toss to coat.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Preare a 2 quart dish by greasing and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk together. Add the butter and using your hands work it into the flour mixture. Continue working until the butter is about the size of peas or slightly smaller.
- Stir in the cream and egg and gently mix together, do not over mix.
- Place the fruit in the prepared dish. Top with the cobbler topping making 8-10 biscuits.
- Bake for 35-45 min. until fruit is bubbling in the middle and the biscuits are browned. Serve warm with whipped cream and a garnish of mint if desired.