Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp
I have a little bit of rhubarb left but it has been a bit mashed from the deer and her two fawns coming and going in my yard. I opened the gate so they could get in easier and it is the first thing they step on. I was lucky enough to be able to make this Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp and Rhubarb Dream Bars. I love the ruby read color of rhubarb and strawberries pair so perfectly with it.
I love rhubarb and a adore a crisp, so putting them together is a wonderful summer dessert. Tart, sweet and a crunchy topping, this dessert has it all for me. Plus fresh from the garden can’t be beat!!
A crisp is a fairly healthy dessert compared to a lot of others and easy to do. Our summers would not be complete without a few of these made.
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, diced
- 4 cups fresh strawberrie, sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt or fleur de sel
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the cornstarch and sugar together and toss it with the rhubarb and strawberries. Pour the fruit into a 10" pie plate. Set aside. MIx together the crisp topping ingredients, cutting in the butter until crumbly. Top the fruit with the crisp mixture, covering evenly. Bake for 50-60 min. until the fruit is tender and the top is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.