I just shared with you an Orange Pecan Loaf the other day. Our daughter just loves these and a slice in her lunch box is a real hit. Plus these loaves are super easy to make. She loves the Lemon Loaf from Starbucks so I decided to make that for her too.
This is also a great cake for Mother’s Day, so bright with tons of lemon flavor. The perfect brunch dessert for spring or as a snack anytime of the day. It looks elegant when served but don’t tell anyone how easy it was to make.
I can’t seem to get enough of the fresh taste of lemon this spring. I am loving so many lemon dishes like Lemon Rosemary Chicken, Pasta with Proscuitto, Peas, Mint and Lemon, Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade, and Brunch Lemon Bundt, just to name a few I have been adoring this spring.
Make mom and everyone else happy with this easy and delicious Lemon Loaf. You just can’t go wrong with this recipe.
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 lemons zested
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, more for the glaze and syrup
- 1 tsp. real lemon extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, or until desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x5x3" loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, set aside. Mix the lemon juice and buttermilk together, set aside.
- Cream the butter and initial sugar together in a large bowl of a stand up mixer with a paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, 5 min. Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add in the lemon zest and lemon extract. Add the flour and buttermilk mixture alternatively, starting and ending with the flour. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 min. to 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean. Let cake cool for 10 min.
- Mix together the syrup ingredients and microwave, stirring after 30 seconds and until sugar melts, about 1 min. Remove cake from pan and place on a cooking rack over a rimmed cookie sheet. Brush on the syrup and let the cake cool completely.
- When ready to serve, mix the glaze ingredients together and pour over the cake. Decorate with lemon slices if desired.
- The cake freezes well at any stage, after the syrup or after the glaze. I slice the cake and put into baggies for lunch box snacks.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten – Food Network.