Ken made these wonderful Stuffed Meatballs the other day and wow were they good!!! They are not quite a popper but more of a knife and fork appy. From the luscious interior to the crunchy exterior these little meatballs are great!!!
We served them up with a little bit of medium salsa. Yummo!!!!
- 4 mild Italian sausage
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup each panko crumbs & bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- canola oil
- Cut the top off of the cherry tomatoes and core them.
- Stuff in a small amount of grated asiago cheese. Repeat with all of the tomatoes.
- Remove the sausage meat from the casing. Pinch off a small amount and flatten it out into a disc.
- Place the tomato on the disc and wrap the sausage meat around the tomato. Making sure that the tomato is completely encased in the sausage
- Prepare three dishes to roll the meatball in.
- First one with flour, salt and pepper to taste.
- Second with 2 beaten eggs.
- Third with panko, the rest of the asiago cheese, bread crumbs and salt and pepper.
- Roll the meatball first in the flour then egg and finishing off in the panko mixture.
- Heat 2″ of canola oil in a wok and deep fry to a golden brown.
- Serve with salsa.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 96Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g