I was super excited for this #SundaySupper. I have never made fried chicken and thought it would be perfect of course for a picnic, which is today’s theme. I knew exactly the kind of chicken I wanted to make. Super crispy double dipped buttermilk fried chicken. The kind that you see everyone make on TV and that makes you drool.
I looked quickly at a recipe from Epicurious and off I went to create our own. They brined their chicken but I didn’t have time for that nor did I want to. Nothing against brining as we do it a lot when Ken smokes his chicken or turkey.
I also wanted to do a whole chicken as I remember Ken was given a lesson on how to butcher one properly when he did a BBQ smoking class. So I watched him and learned. I knew that I wanted to dredge it in a spiced flour then buttermilk and then back in flour to get an amazing crust. Ken set up the whole production in our garage. Great idea so that it didn’t stink up the house!! He then cooked this chicken to perfection for us. We succeeded making a fabulous crunchy and still juicy chicken. I think anyone would be happy to have this in their picnic basket. Here is the chicken in our picnic basket. ENJOY!!!
- I whole chicken, cut up into 10 pieces
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 Tbsp. fine sea salt
- 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Oil for deep frying
- Have ready a cookie cooling rack on the baking sheet. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350F. Mix the flour, black pepper, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper and baking soda together. Divide the flour into 2 bowls, ⅓ and ⅔. Pour the buttermilk into a third bowl. Dredge the chicken in the first bowl and shake off excess and place on the cooling rack. Dip the pieces in the buttermilk and then thoroughly into second bowl of flour. Return them to the rack.
- Start to deep fry the pieces making sure not to over crowd and cook for 12-15 min. until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to another rack or paper lined plate to cool for 5-10 min. before serving.
- Recipe adapted from Epicurious
To help you round out your picnic basket look at all the amazing recipes here!!
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
You can join in the chat on Twitter too: we’ll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.